Chair: Josie Underwood
Minutes: Josie Underwood

Present: Paule Constable, Josie Underwood, Mimi Doulton, Paul Carey Jones, Peter McKintosh

Apologies: Alistair Cope, Vicki Mortimer

Values number 8 and 3 were read alongside our anti-racism and complicity in racist structures statement. Intro question was favourite crisps, to celebrate AC’s potential assent to become the Gary Linekar of Lays.

Updates and reports
BFS 2024
JU – We are now preparing for this years survey, having had two online planning meetings and will be setting a date for an in-person meeting to discuss the themes and questions for this year.
PCJ – Theme thoughts at the moment are – how theatre freelancers are different to other freelancers and is freelancing a choice or necessity – if you could do your job PAYE would you take it?
PC – post pandemic interesting question, schedule D status being fought for but would we retain this now? The abuse of the word freelance and freelance status. Sara Whybrew from BFI mentioning the freelance status – should we follow up with Sara?

Paul Hamlyn Foundation
We have been offered a grant from PHF and need to fill out their grant form, which it would be nice to have a small group working on.

FCR Pilot Project
JU – We have invited people to be a part of the project, and enough people stepped forward
SH pushed back against the idea that there would be a selection process where a majority white room of people select the participants for this project. This put a pause on the recruitment process as we took stock and evaluated what the best next steps would be.
PC – board have confirmed that we would like outside support, with advise provided by DS, to facilitate the beginning of the FCR project, the extension of the board.
BBJ – the first place to approach is the PHF are great for support in this type of work, in terms of different governance structures.
PCJ – agreement with SH’s point on recruitment. Whatever the pro’s and cons of a hierarchy structure, it is too big a question for the three members of staff to resolve, therefore the appointment of someone with the skills to facilitate this process would be necessary
MD – do we have recruitment or diversity policies?
PC – while there has been a lot of conversation around these topics there is nothing that has been documented (aside from the work done on the IncArts toolkit)
MD – would be good to get this officially documented
PCJ – the IncArts toolkit was hard to apply to our structure at the time of us doing it as we weren’t an organisation that was paying its participants, and therefore diversity quotas have a different meaning when applied to people volunteering their time. This has now shifted and we are paying and recruiting more people and therefore we should reassess the work we previously did with the IncArts toolkit.
MD – how have the interested parties been communicated?
JU – Initially I contacted those that were interested to inform them of the pause, and after christmas the board, Paule, Hazel and Vicki, wrote a letter which I shared with those interested in the project to fill them in more on the reasons behind the pause and our plans for next steps.
PM – should we be looking to extend the board first?
PC – Deciding where to start has always been the problem! the theory of change. This is where we are, this is where we need to get to.
MD – this sort of work is continual, it can’t be that we make a policy and then the work is finished
PCJ – AS mentioned that campaigning is never done, the idea that we haven’t won yet – we are never going to win! This is a continuous conversation, its not a case of winning or losing, its the fact that the conversation is happening.

CIISA meeting

Action points:
Email Sara Whybrew re self-employed status – JU
Reply to Adam Kenwright – JU
Confirm time for online for BFS – JU
Attach FCR letter from the Board to the minutes – JU
Check that all interested FCR were contacted – JU
Talk to PHF about governance structure and how we implement this moving forward in an equitable way
Share CIISA times with the group – JU

3. Agenda points (10.00-11.15)
I:Opera Green Resolution – MD
MD had to leave the meeting just before we made it to this point, but JU will ask for an email update from her
Action points:
Request an email update about I:Opera Green Resolution – JU

AOB
The Stage Awards – invitation for us to go along to the awards ceremony, four tickets offered. Hazel has agreed to go along with Paul, Alistair and Josie!
One pager to Thangnam on freelancers, BFS etc

ACTION POINTS RECAP
Email Sara Whybrew re self-employed status – JU
Reply to Adam Kenwright – JU
Confirm time for online for BFS – JU
Attach FCR letter from the Board to the minutes – JU
Check that all interested FCR were contacted – JU
Talk to PHF about governance structure and how we implement this moving forward in an equitable way
Share CIISA times with the group – JU
Request an email update about I:Opera Green Resolution – JU
Create google doc for Thangnam response send to PCJ – JU