Welcome to Freelancers Make Theatre Work. We are a inclusive, independent community for the 200,000+ self-employed and freelance workers from all areas of theatre, opera and live performance, who make up 70% of the UK theatre workforce.
Our campaign has now reached over 16 Million people! Want to add your picture to sit alongside thousands of fellow Arts Freelancers campaigning for a better and more inclusive future?
Want to support #FreelancersMakeTheatreWork and look awesome doing so? Then why not buy some of our merchandise! Every penny of profit goes to supporting FMTW as we continue to campaign and advocate for freelancers in the Theatre industry.
of the Theatre workforce are Freelancers
estimated jobs in the Arts sector
of the entire UK workforce is arts and culture
billion contributed to the UK economy by the Art and Culture sector
Who We Are
An inclusive, independent community for the 200,000+ self-employed and freelance workers from all areas of theatre, opera, dance and live performance, who make up 70% of the UK theatre workforce.
We aim to support each other as fellow freelancers in every way we can
We aim to encourage more transparent and inclusive conversations within the performing arts industry by listening to and articulating theatre freelancers’ needs to theatre managements, production companies, industry bodies and government.
WHAT WE DO
Campaign to raise awareness of the vital role of freelancers in the theatre industry.
Provide a platform to collect the opinions and concerns of the freelance theatre workforce with the commitment to express them to decision makers who impact our work.
Offer a central resource of information for the freelance workforce that welcomes contributions from organisations and individuals to share the conversations going on behind closed doors.
Provide a place to share information and projects that nurture our collective wellbeing.
1. We want to listen to, advocate for and amplify the voices of freelancers.
2. We work to reflect the diverse world we live in through a sustained commitment to inclusion, accessibility and representation.
3. We grow trust by working with honesty and transparency.
4. We recognise and respect that everyone arrives at this work from a different starting point and with a different set of experiences.
5. We aim to work in a collaborative, non-hierarchical way and share responsibility for our actions.
6. We respect devolution and support freelancers working across all four nations of the United Kingdom, recognising the political, legal and cultural differences that arise from the individual contexts of each nation.
7. We endeavour to be solutions-focussed, addressing systemic issues both current and historic through action.
8. We foster empathetic and generous environments where everyone is safe to learn, ask for help, change their mind and make mistakes.
9. We endeavour to free spaces of bullying, coercion and passive aggressive behaviour.
10. We are proudly independent, volunteer and activist-led and we support each other as capacities change.