FMTW Meeting Minutes 11 March 2022

Chair: Paule Constable

Minutes: Keslie Acton

Apologies: Sunita Hinduja, Nikki Edmonds, Al Cope, 

Arrival time: 9.30-11.30am

  1. Welcome & introductions 
  2. Updates & reports: 
    • Big Freelancer Survey – sharing and Open House (JU/AC)
      • Launched Big Freelancer Survey last week
      • Open house Thursday 10 March, small attendance but really good people to have in the room
      • Does anyone know other ways to get it out? 
      • Should we do another one in two weeks? (Is this an action item?)
      • Paule suggests that we do a truly open house, not just an invited room for people with networks
      • Maybe we should leave the survey open for slightly longer because of the state of the world
      • People are very tired and hopeless, so engagement is difficult; how do we engage with freelancers right now? How do we talk to a fast industry about slow change?
      • Can we creatively share the survey (maybe with a video) to make it clear why we need the data? 
      • Both freelancers and buildings talking about it?
      • A “strategy for optimism”
  • Action Item: Vicki will draft a newsletter on hope and surveys on Sunday
      • Freddie will have a think about video making
    • Workshops update (JU)
      • We have all five workshops live, please share them far and wide
  • Action Item: Everyone share workshops on social media
    • We’ve also done some advertising on social media
    • Do we need a visible annual plan? So people know what we’re planning to do?
    • But do we need to stay responsive and flexible? How do we do that with an annual plan?
  • ACE reshuffle email (BBJ/PC/EJ/FC)
    • Bill would like to do one more look over it but Freddie’s edits were great
  • Action Item: Paule will ask Beth if she would look at it
  1. Agenda points
  • Social Media noise – relative to situation in Ukraine
    • We don’t know what to do with social media, it feels weird to say anything
    • Vicki’s message of hope is really necessary in this context
    • We put out a message asking people to support anyone affected by this conflict and any other conflicts

 

Break 10.25-10.35

  1. Action points (11.15-11.20)
  • Action Item: Vicki will draft a newsletter on hope and survey on Sunday
  • Action Item: Everyone share workshops on social media
  • Action Item: Paule will ask Beth if she would look at the newsletter with the ACE changes  
  • Action Item: Al will put out a message asking people to be kind to anyone affected by this conflict and any other conflicts
  • Action Item: We will restart the anti-racism work from INC arts next week; Josie put that on agenda
  • Action Item: Josie to put a call out for people to join the Federation of Scottish Theatre (did I get the name right?) meeting on Bat Signal and Slack
  • Action Item: We will try with Josie launching the poll but will review to see if Josie has strong opinions on things that she didn’t get to vote on
  • Action Item: We will set the first Friday of the month as the catch-up/bring a pal meeting? 

 

  1. AOB (11.20-11.30)
  • Should we look at conflict management again?
    • We had a bunch of suggestions from after the away day
  • We did have a decision making process but we haven’t been using it – should we start again?
  • Onboarding people still feels amorphous. Do we have one Friday per month where we invite people in?
  • We should bring these processes in when we all agree so we understand them when we don’t agree
  • Action Item: We will try with Josie launching the poll but will review to see if Josie has strong opinions on things that she didn’t get to vote on
  • Should we start putting together guides that say the things that we all know and assume now? Example: This document on Newsletters https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZZKlxrQP5xYt3eABG1YSfW-Z6Vhbg4r2xWF1HzE9lg/edit
  • We need to put together a list of documents that we need and who will draw them up
  • We need to set ourselves up for a revolving door to prevent burnout
  • We also need to be able to rotate roles
  • Josie will still keep making it sure that it’s clear that everyone is welcome
  • Should we talk about who to invite into the room next week? Josie will put new people on the agenda next week
  • Schedule in a catch-up meeting for folks who haven’t been for a while? Could this meeting be the meeting to bring a pal to? First Friday of the month?
back to top